Welcome to Poisoned Youth! We are a member-driven Harry Potter roleplay that strives to create an environment rich in character development and community without a restricting plot or binding expectations. You are the main character of your story.
spring
still raining, but also... what's that? sun?
allergies are in full effect
7°C (45°F) to 13°C (55°F)
set in may, 2018

Add Reply
New Poll

Summer Incoming!
Tany
Graduate
Twenty-Nine
Half-Blood
Spiral Heart Moon Rod
Never Never Land
She / Her
Tany
PRONOUNS: She / Her
TIMEZONE: EST
RP RATING: NC-17 Rated Poster
WORD COUNT PREFERENCE: Any
Hello my little beans!

I suppose this is open for discussion, so feel free to engage below!

Basically, my intentions with this site were to follow the legitimate timeline of Hogwarts schooling. We'd begin each year in September, end it in May, spend a two week timeframe writing the train ride home, rest of June/July/early Aug on summer - including home threads, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, the rest of the world -, then the train ride back for the last two weeks of August.

The castle boards will be hidden / locked (haven't decided which yet) and the summer boards would appear. We'd have a nice calendar to mark things, also, so you know dates and such.

I just want PY to feel like an actual Hogwarts experience for us and our kiddos. We have advancement criteria and such, but you're not obligated to ever advance. It just sort of goes unspoken when the next year begins. Your character didn't get 'held back' or anything, it just resumes. You can advance mid-year if you really want, it just, again, goes unspoken.

We can play with this idea as the forum goes on, of course.

Is everyone alright with this? I'm open to suggestions, but this is the course I am aiming to present. I have an open mind and open ears, however, so throw whatever at me! Even summer events and the like, things to bring the students together, etc!

<3 <3 <3
Rogue
Graduate
Twenty-Six
Muggleborn
13 3/4", Spruce, Phoenix Feather
Birmingham
She/Her
Rogue
PRONOUNS: She/Her
TIMEZONE: GMT
WORD COUNT PREFERENCE: 250-500
Heya dude! I really like the idea of time being fluid on this site (is that the right word? Fluid?) Anyway it's very good, particularly when students can still keep their year and everything.

The only thing I'd say is that the term ends in late June and not May. So summer would run July & August only. I don't know what the official term time of Hogwarts is... but going by British schools we usually start at the beginning of September (usually like 1st - 9th) and end in mid July (like 10th - 20th) and we have 6 weeks of summer holidays. But ya Hogwarts ain't your usual school & I understand that...

But maybe June, July and August is a bit long.

(Also this is diff in Ireland as well, they have a longer summer holiday)

Sorry I really don't want to come across as pretentious here... I just think the 2 months will be long enough! My personal opinion. I so LOVE the idea of this site being fluid. STILL don't know if that's the right word, but hope you know what I mean. Gonna stop typing now...
Billie
Undetermined
Unknown
Billie
TIMEZONE: JST / EST
WORD COUNT PREFERENCE: 500-750
I'd be fine with a late June or July/August summer, but I also think it'd be kind of constricting to start a website and then suddenly be like 'sorry you can't do the hogwarts boards anymore' because literally that's a month away? what if you're not done with threads? this is especially true since time is 'fluid'.

My suggestion would be to make time not as fluid (ie: instead of being able to post [anytime] in the year), follow a month basis? for example, any time in sept, if you make a first year, you can rp as them 'getting sorted' or have anyone with an older student be 'at the sorting ceremony' having dinner / watching the first years / whatever.

this would work so instead of having set time frames like two weeks, you can have 'mid-june-mid july' be for the 'leaving of hogwarts', mid-july-mid august for 'summer / coming back to hogwarts', cuz like... lots of things happen at the end of the year - OWLs, NEWTs, last minute summer love confessions... -winkwonk-

that's my two-bits!
Dez
Graduate
Squib
SO LONG
OC CA
She/Hers
Dez
PRONOUNS: She/Hers
TIMEZONE: PST/CA
Personally, I like the idea of keeping the site ~mostly fluid, with some tweaks here and there. It would be cool to have the school year last until June or even July because it would be wonderful to get more time to play out stuff for our seventh year students.

August/September would be prime for summer break (to me). I would prefer to keep the boards open to finish threads we're working on and not have to feel rushed to complete things.

Either way I'm happy to be here and will be happy with whatever choice is made, this is just my two cents. :3

Thanks for all of the hard work and giving us somewhere lovely to play, Tany! <3
Tany
Graduate
Twenty-Nine
Half-Blood
Spiral Heart Moon Rod
Never Never Land
She / Her
Tany
@Rogue I think fluid is a proper word, lol! But duly noted on the late June thing! That also helps us having more time for castle fun here towards the end of the year! Not pretentious at all, this is great information to have! <3!!

@Billie I 100% agree with how quick it's coming up, 'cause I don't want to shove everyone out of the castle too fast. I definitely don't want threads people have to close unceremoniously, especially if they are still being posted in consistently. I grew up on a site that would close threads after no responses after two weeks and, while sometimes it sucked if it was your posting partners fault, it helped keep plots moving forward and activity relatively hyped. But I also understand that not everyone has the sort of time to be around that often.

The only parts that would've been in the 'two week' window would be the Hogwarts express board, so people can get some posts on the platform, train, and Hogsmeade station, but it doesn't take a whole summer to maneuver through that portion and that way it ushers us into the summer hols. Love me some end-of-year love confessions, tho!! :D <3

@Dez Seventh year students wouldn't ~have to advance, of course, so you could go into September with them as 'brand new' seventh years. It probably would feel weird to write them as starting again, but since it's just one of those hush-under-the-rug-weird-OOC-quicks, maybe not too badly?

-

So how does this, as a calendar, look? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oW2Ka2T...dit?usp=sharing I'm 100% still open to adjustments / suggestions / critique! I want to make this place fun for you all and I know, what with the board only opening late April, that there's not too much castle time. We can play it by ear for our first summer, really, and test the waters to have a solidified idea for next summer. <3 Also I can extend train time if two weeks isn't enough.

-

You guys are the best! I know we're just easing into two weeks of being open, but I really enjoy how the site is unfolding easily and everyone here! Thank you guys for being a part of PY's baby steps!
Tany
Graduate
Twenty-Nine
Half-Blood
Spiral Heart Moon Rod
Never Never Land
She / Her
Tany
!! OH I HAD A THOUGHT !!

What if we didn't go by real time 100%? What if I switched the months to making Summertime happen during real time Christmas? So when most members tend to be busiest, the castle is closed? It'd switch up weather in some threads, but we can wait to implement it come June?

So instead of June, it would be January.

Real Time - In-Game Time
January - August
February - September
March - October
April - November
May - December
June - January
July - February
August - March
September - April
October - May
November - June
December - July
Billie
Undetermined
Unknown
Billie
TIMEZONE: JST / EST
WORD COUNT PREFERENCE: 500-750
I'm not really a big fan of the whole 'half year difference' because even if you do normal months, you can say it's 'christmas break' for students during christmas time and not have to worry?

i was thinking if you wanted, you could simply let everyone slightly retcon their characters if they need it, and when september comes have them start as the year they're currently in. I don't think anyone's going to 'advance' their student right away, and that give you time to say that the first few months (ie: may & june) were 'test year' months? offically start the year in september?

if...
i-if that makes any sense lmao
Tany
Graduate
Twenty-Nine
Half-Blood
Spiral Heart Moon Rod
Never Never Land
She / Her
Tany
It does make sense!

But the change in months IC vs OOC isn't solely because of the sudden summer break, it also works in favor of my work schedule.

I get gross-busy in November until typically March (this year it was April). Like, 60 hour weeks busy. And if I move the Christmas hols to typical summertime, then I can BOTH plan fun holiday events and also get to enjoy them myself! Whereas real time Christmas, December and all that, when everyone is busy with families and such, it'd be a 'boring' summer downtime on the forum and allow everyone to relax and not feel tied to time constraints and such.

Just a thought to help me out. :) I'll figure it out for sure come June.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Shadowplay Topsites RPG-D RPG Initiative Rockin Roleplay Shadowplay
sknned by vanessa of shine and caution